Thursday, March 18, 2010

Moved Six Times in Three Years


Psalm One's Big Pimpin-esque new single "Beat the Drum" is good enough to raise the hairs on the back of my neck, and I'm dropping a hint here that you might want to watch for her EP Woman at Work, which is due out in April.

She was exhilarating at SXSW in 2006, and I loved her first release Death of the Frequent Flyer. But the reason I'm really excited about a new release is that it's clear she is coming back an awful lot badder. Now, I like my rhyming like I like my men:  smart and emotionally available. But Psalm One already proved she was among best of the brainy, sensitive rappers with a thoughtful, autobiographical debut. Which is why I might be losing right now it over a new, harder Psalm One and a new Psalm One recording well-stocked with the kind of sonic surprises that induce dancing. More word on that closer to the release date, but she is definitely combining elements now in a bolder manner more befitting a chemist while still producing those little explosions in my brain that indicate amazing lyrics. (She is actually a chemist, btw.)


You know nerdy girls grow up to be bad as hell.

No comments: