Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Day minus turkey is the way to go.

I'm not a inhuman monster, I swear, but Thanksgiving has never been my favorite holiday. I'm not into turkey or empty ritual based on events in American history I have zero identification with. Then again, maybe the empty ritual just needs some tweaking. After last night, I'd say the holiday needs more beer and less meat and that you should celebrate it with whoever is around. Sorry, Aunt Judy.

 
 
 

There now that's better. I celebrated this year at the Charlotte, North Carolina home of Julia and Erik. Julia acted like cooking a whole vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner that makes you totally forget the vegetarian part and just go nuts stuffing your face wasn't anything extraordinary. It is extraordinary, but some aspects may be simple enough for anyone to adopt. There's the no tofurkey aspect, for instance.

The theme for the menu was Southern vegetarian. On my plate, clockwise from the fork, you will find cheese grits and gumbo, potatoes, stuffed cabbage, Yorkshire pudding, and greens and brussels sprouts. Below that photo is banana bread pudding a la mode in a bourbon sugar sauce brought by Erin, who is the only person in the group photo not making a weird face. Oh, man, I'm still full. At least in my heart.

No comments: