Thursday, February 26, 2009

Every Rose Has Its Thorn


I won't pretend that I'm not just randomly reviewing what ever I come across because that's exactly what I'm doing. On the other hand that means whatever it is, it caught my eye. This one here, Kiss My Grits #32, was special. I took one look at it in Youngblood Gallery and something just told me it was free.

It got even better once I brought it home and discovered this zine was a detailed and dedicated celebration of power ballads. I love power ballads but I define the term more broadly than this pamphlet. I include such songs as Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth." Kiss My Grits #32 specifies:
"Power ballads are love songs, passionate love songs, typically involving a theme of loss or separation or both, which must also include an electric guitar solo." There's also great clip art, song lyrics, poetry and a "power ballad" in prose dedicated to Atlanta.

I can't remember if all of my favorites are disqualified by their lack of a guitar solo or by not quite being a love song. Does "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey count?

A lot of my other favorites come from the Streets of Fire soundtrack. "Tonight is What It Means to Be Young," would be on my Myspace profile permanently if this were possible but I don't think it is. Someday, I'll at least get the DVD but, really, the soundtrack is better than the movie. On the other hand, the movie kind of is a power ballad. It has Willem Dafoe in it.

This might be the zine's address:

P.O. Box 8776
Atlanta, GA 31106

Here's an idea of Streets of Fire. This song actually gives me chills in some parts and I've got the heat on:


No comments: